Holy Smoke BBQ • Saturday, June 3, 2017
Thank you for participating in the sixth annual Community Covenant Church "Holy Smoke" BBQ contest. We truly appreciate your willingness to participate in this community activity and give of your time and talents. 100% of the donations from the event will go to the Kearney Food Pantry.
Note: If you have previously participated in the Holy Smoke contest please note the following change to the rules. In the past we allowed sauce to be presented with the meat. In an effort to place ourselves more in line with other contests, meat will now be served to the judges with NO SAUCE.
The process for check in and judging remains as in 2016 and prior:
- Set Up: Friday, June 2, 2017 from 2:00 - 7:00 PM.
- Check in time for meat will be from 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM Friday night.
- Meat must be direct from the refrigerator or cooler and can not be marinated prior to checking in. Temperature may be checked.
- Cooks meeting will be at 7:00pm sharp Friday, June 2nd. At this meeting your team will draw your number for the contest. (More details will be provided at this time)
- BBQ contest starts at 7:30pm Friday June 2nd.
- Judging will be performed by a panel of judges isolated from the BBQ area
- Small unmarked bite size samples will be furnished to the judges from each category. You will be provided containers to place the samples in.
- Contestants will have to take their entries to the entry table.
- Judges will sample one category at a time starting with-- chicken 3:00pm, Ribs 3:30pm, Beef 4:00pm, Pork 4:30pm.
- Judging points will be on taste 1-10, presentation 1-5, sauce 1-3
- Judges will choose what they believe is the best in each category.
- Judging will be completed by 5:00 PM.
- Awards presented at the main stage at 5:45 PM.
- In the result of a tie, it will be settled with a blind "taste off".
- The Overall Grand Champion Winner will be the team with the most total points.
- The overall points for where each team placed will be given after Awards presentation.
- Good Luck and have some fun.
The BBQ committee understands that beer and BBQ is a tradition however we ask that contestants refrain from bringing or consuming beer or other alcoholic beverages on the church premises.
We at Community Covenant Church want to extend a sincere Thank You to all of the Teams and hope you have a greet weekend of BBQ and fellowship at our sixth annual event.